Subject: Re: Tunings
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 18 Feb 2018 16:24:01 -0500

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018, Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>

> I think (I don't have the article in front of me at the moment) that writer
> says if you, as a singer, are singing with an orchestra tuned to 435 or 432,
> the sound production is easier and more fluid / flexible, producing a more
> even and less stressed sound.

The majority of people can not hear the difference between 435 and 440 (or 446,
which is what I've been told the standard used by the Berlin Philharmonic).

We have a tuning fork owned by Handel which is at A=415.  That is about a
half-step lower than today.  By the 19th century pitch was at least in the 430
range if not 440 in some places.

So the bottom line is that the difference in pitch from a century ago is not
enough to be noticed by the majority of people.

  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users