Subject: Re: Parsifal: Met Saturday Matinee
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Feb 2018 12:36:48 -0500

[log in to unmask] wrote (in part):

"You have no idea.... I cant stand this production, not just the chairs but the open graves...
I have this beautiful memory of Domingo as Parsifal at the Met sitting in a gorgeous
meadow of flowers having his feet bathed by Kundry - now THAT was a gorgeous Easter
morning.... loved the beautiful broadcast, and did not have to look at anything."

(I think you meant Good Friday in the above.)

We all like things differently (of course!) and it's always interesting to me to read opposing
viewpoints.  So many have found this production among the most moving of recent times.
Personally, it has become my favorite production of my favorite opera, a work (and tale)
which has been a lifelong obsession.  I enjoyed/loved the old, storybook GŁnther Schneider-
Siemssen as well . . . and took a lot of heat here and elsewhere for loving it.  But there is
something about this production that takes all of Parsifal's emotional/spiritual connections
and lays them bare as I've never before encountered - and the effect is overwhelming.

In post-broadcast discussions several friends and I agreed that Pape may be the most
wonderful Gurnemanz in a long, long line of wonderful Gurnemanz's.  There have certainly
been voices as beautiful as his, but his attention to the text is, in my estimation,
unparalleled.  I know the mantra around these part is " nothing's as good as it used to be,"
. . . but in some instances, this one particularly, I think some things might just actually be

Modify your settings: