Subject: Re: Parsifal - as heard on WUOT from the Met, today
From: "Sklenar, Robert John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Feb 2018 02:38:03 +0000

My thoughts, based only on the broadcast: completely agree with Bob about
Pape and Mattei. Mattei in particular has one of the most gorgeous
baritone voices I have head in a long time, and the contrast between the
beauty of his voice and the suffering of his character made his
interpretation of Amfortas all the more compelling. Pape¹s place in the
ranks of the great Gurnemanz interpreters is assured: he is a worthy
successor to Weber, Hotter, Frick, and Moll. Nikitin is a terrifying
Klingsor. I am not enamored of Vogt¹s choirboy timbre, but he made it work
for the character, and his musicianship is what one would expect from a
former professional orchestra player. Herlitzius has a problematic
instrument, to be sure, but she is an intelligent, probing artist, and
while she did serve up some out-of-control vocalism, it was not nearly as
much as I sometimes had to tolerate from Hildegard Behrens, whom I greatly
admired. I was captivated by Yannick Nézet-Séguin's spacious, transparent
reading of this extraordinary score; the ³serve-the-music² approach of his
mentor Carlo Maria Giulini was very much in evidence, and the orchestra
played rapturously for him. Predictions of the Met¹s demise are clearly
premature: true, the ³Trovatore² of two weeks ago was execrable,
sub-provincial in every respect but the Azucena of Anita Rachvelishvili,
but this Parsifal was a distinguished performance.

-Robert

On 2/17/18, 5:46 PM, "Discussion of opera and related issues on behalf of
Bob Rideout" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]>