Subject: Re: MET Aida Next Season
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Feb 2018 11:00:59 -0500

No, Stoyanova is certainly not hard-edged. Thank you, Max, for your
sensitive observation and, as always, your enlightening discussion about
the vocal demands for different roles. And I can name at least a few more
but, for the first time since I've been on this list, I'd like to make a
larger point *and* plea:

I never asked my fellow listers this and have been quietly reading all
kinds of stereotypes about the "Slavic" and "Eastern European" singing,
almost always in a derogatory manner. Could we please stop generalizing
along these lines? My language is Slavic (Serbo-Croatian) and I can't
understand any Russian or Polish (just to pick random examples) except for
some isolated words. This is as a diverse linguistic branch as are Germanic
or Romance languages. The same applies to "Eastern Europeans", not just
ethno-linguistically but also culturally diverse, including different vocal
traditions and styles.

Thank you, Vesna