Subject: Re: MET Aida Next Season
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:13:06 +0000

Stoyanova isn’t hard edged.

Seems that the dolce “O patria mia” high C spooked Harteros off the role which is too bad; she can sing the rest of it very beautiful.

I think Aida is one of the most difficult roles in the entire repertoire. It’s so popular that opera houses constantly want it and a number of sopranos klutz their way through. Finding a soprano with the size of voice for the concertato who also has the fine grained dynamic control over her whole range, the needed firmness and steadiness of sound and the sheer beauty of sound to do the Nile Scene and Tomb Scene justice is no small feat.

I think it might even be harder to find a really good Aida than it is to find a satisfying Tristan or Siegfried.

In a radio interview in the mid 80s, Eva Marton (whom I first saw as Aida in 1977) already posed the question “Who is there who can sing Aida today?”

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone