Subject: MET Aida Next Season
From: Ghozel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Feb 2018 09:51:27 -0500

The last great AIDAs were Leona Mitchell and Aprile Millo, both of whom inherited the role from Leontyne Price.  They played Aida when the current MET production was unveiled almost 30 years ago.

There hasn't been a serviceable Aida since.  Listening to the stream of Eastern European sopranos, with their hard edged instruments, bark through this role at the MET has turned me off to seeing anyone new in it.

Let's stop pretending we can find good casts for most Verdi anymore.