Subject: I Had Disappointment in Boheme Tonight
From: Charles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Feb 2018 05:46:45 -0500

Went to see Boheme Friday night.  Really good cast:  Yoncheva, Fabiano,
Phillips, Meachem, really good voices, really good acting.  And there's that
wonderful Zefirelli production, of course.

There was one really annoying textual glitch however.

I never listen to the Cerca; Cerco sequence in the leadup to Che Gelida
Manina when it's Fabiano because I've never known him to transpose it down.

So he started the aria and it sounded beautiful.  That includes what I
assumed was the high C, which was fine.  But then, uncharacteristically,
Fabiano shortened the za of speranza, which I've never known him to do.
"That's odd," I thought.

But then he came back in the second act he did that entire closing phrase of
Dal mio cervel in one breath, the two Sboccia l'amor, sboccia l'amor, and I
said to myself "Nope, his diaphragm is in fine shape!"

And then, afterward, on the way out, I bumped into someone who's worked at
the Met on occasion in the orchestra.  And he told me that the orchestra was
buzzing about the screwup in the Che gelida manina.

You see, THEY TRANSPOSED IT DOWN!!  And Fabiano NEVER asked for that.  They
had accidentally left it that way because of the LAST tenor.

I can just imagine how Fabiano must have felt.

All I can say is I really hope the librarian went to Fabiano and gave him a
profound apology, preferably on his knees.

What an annoying foul-up.

And I'm sure that's why the za was cut short.  You train for years to put
some note in the passagio, to cover some notes, not to cover others, and
then everything must feel wrong when you suddenly find you're no longer
singing the notes you've been singing for years.

Bet he sings the hell out of it in the upcoming performances.

Modify your settings: