Subject: Re: Met New Productions was (Traviata - New Production)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:22:16 -0500

Folks (and it's not just you, Donald - don't get your bloomers in a twist) - the name is
Taymor. No "e." And actually, I think the Taymor "Zauberflöte" is quite wonderful. But my
definite preference is for the full production, not the chopped up "Magic Flute" that the
Met (understandably and rightfully) presents as a family event.

As I can't always make it to the live/encore HD's in the movie theatre, due to my own
crazy schedule, having PBS and the Met On Demand site are viable options - certainly as
valid as the HD's or in-house. Though I love going to the live HD's when I'm able (and
they're not already sold out in the one movie theatre I can get to easiest).

They just opened a new AMC theatre very close to where I live. I have this fantasy that
they might show the HD's next season...but I'm not holding my breath. But oh, it would
be so nice to just be able to take a short walk to the HD's instead of taking the MBTA out
all the way to the Fenway (where I go now). But I do think at least I'll get in the habit of
seeing more movies in general now, lol.

That Rosenkavlier was so strange - when it wasn't trying to be a war propaganda piece, it
was actually quite good, I thought. But yeah, the very end of Act III was fucking awful
(excuse my English lol), and the military "set" for Act II was also needlessly distracting.
But, ignoring all that, I did enjoy the singing and the characterizations. Why it needed
that other crap going on, I'll never understand.