Subject: Re: Met New Priductions was (Traviata - New Production)
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:51:57 -0500

I think watching on PBS "counts" a great deal now that so many new
productions seem designed for that medium.  It's the only way I saw
the PEARLFISHERS,and to me it was impressive, in a cinematic fashion,
for about five minutes, while those fish appeared to be swimming around;
the rest was a hodgepodge of unconvincing confrontations between
unbelievable characters in an uninhabitable waterfront.

I saw TRISTAN both ways: on opening night and on tv; it makes much more
sense, provided you can accept its dubious concept, on tv.

Zeffirelli, in my opinion, was better at directing films than operas; all
of his
work seems hampered by the proscenium, and looks that way, whether
live or at home. I did prefer his Met CARMEN however, to the present one.

If the Chagall FLUTE had to go, the "Egyption" one suited me just fine; I
have
always kept away from Taymore fantasies.

The current MEISTERSINGER works better on tv  because, unlike its glorious
predecessor, it is too drab and colorless to occupy a full stage for four
hours.
Words can't convey the contempt I have for what they dare to call PARSIFAL.

What do I like?  - the new ROMEO ET JULLIETTE, TOSCA, and, except for a
gross misconception of the Third Act, DER ROSENKAVALIER.

dtmk