Subject: Met «Aida» Next Season
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Feb 2018 15:55:02 -0500

Dear Listers,

Three or four years ago Lynne Price and I saw a very disappointing «Aida» at the Met.  It
was disappointing largely because of Marcello Giordani, whose voice was in tatters.  It was
painful.

I would like to go back next season and see «Aida» again at Met, hopefully with a decent
(can one hope for good?) tenor.  The Met has announced two tenors in the role of Radamès,
Aleksandrs Antonenko and Yonghoon Lee.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in seeing Yonghoon Lee, which leaves only
Aleksandrs Antonenko, whom I have never heard.

Have any Listers heard Mr. Antonenko before?  I understand he sang Otello at Met in 2105-
2016.  Other Verdi roles in Mr. Antonenko’s repertoire include Otello at the Royal Opera
House, Radamès at Opernhaus Zürich, Manrico at the Berlin Staatsoper, and Calaf and
Ismaele at La Scala.

Has anyone on the List heard him as Radamès?

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.