Subject: Records
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Feb 2018 01:27:12 -0500

I was nuts about Harry Belafonte.

Thinking back, I had a lovely time, I learned about musicals live at the Cape Cod Music Tent, one a week during the summer for about five years consecutive summers. Then there were some musicals that toured during the winter.

By the time I was a young teen I had a chorus or Madrigal group rehearsal every day and some days evenings in the Temple learning new music by a Holocaust composer. I was also attending live music events.

So I was pretty busy and did not have much time for a record collection.

However there was a budget record company on Long Island that had a fire sale of classical recordings and I bought quite a few with my allowance.

When I got into college I sang in the choir every weekday morning and some Sundays. I had singing lessons, recitals about twice a year and when the Met came on tour, I bought a seat for nearly every performance. This was the first time I saw an opera!

My boyfriend came up from Brown and we saved our allowances to hear Jazz at Storyville. Great people - Dixie, MJQ, great players. And of course concerts at Jordan Hall, the BSO, and MIT.

Great radio and the Met every Saturday.

So I didn’t start collecting until I graduated. I still had plenty of singing and studying the whole time, though.

I loved folk singing, Elvis, and country music, jazz, musical theater, Bach, Handel, Mozart....

But I was happiest when I was singing.

Sent from my iPhone