Subject: another Boheme
From: gordon young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Feb 2018 20:41:59 -0600

As many of us will be seeing the Met’s Boheme this weekend I thought I
would bring the lists attention to another Boheme. This updated Boheme is
from Bologna and is available on Youtube. I was pleasantly surprised by the
staging of the first act and felt the concept might work. However …

In these updates the designer often, if not always, stumbles when they are
unable to unify the libretto with the updating. The modern day bohemians,
in this production, live in an apartment not unlike the one many if us
lived in our college years. As the bohemians leave, leaving Rudolfo alone,
he turns off the lights and lights a candle … there is a knock on the door
… a girl her candle has gone out … candle? Girl, just turn on the light!
All buildings today, even the sleaziest, have ordinances concerning
required lighting.

Tenor Frances Demuro is a charming Rudolfo with a nicely expressive voice
and t he Mimi, Mariangela Sicilia also sings well and the interactions
between the two seems natural. For a number of years I had a studio in an
artists’ commune and I lived with these bohemians. Even the overweight
Marcelo, Nicola Alaimo, reminded me of a guy with whom several of my women
friends had a little tryst. It made me smile.

I’m not sure act two can be ruined.

The third act was probably the most problematic scenically and
dramatically. Maybe 8’ to 10’ into the stage a chain link fence running
across the stage. Behind that a space of 3 or 4 feet deep then a flat wall
vaguely storefront like. Everything grey and dark. As the prelude begins we
see in the space behind the fence a junky fellating some one to get the
money to buy the drugs to shoot up - then the women come in with their
butter and cheese. I was amused at the translation of the “addio senza
rancor” line that was translated  “good by … no hard feelings.”

The fourth act will change your view of Rudolfo and explain his behavior
inn the third act. Let me leave it at that.

Here’s the link:

Modify your settings: