Subject: Re: Met «Aida» Next Season
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Feb 2018 17:22:23 -0500

And some of the orchestral ensemble can be treacherous - the orchestral ending of "Gia i
sacerdote" for instance. That rapid "echo" effect, with essentially half the orchestra playing
on the beat and the other half syncopated off the beat - not easy at all. The effect of the
sound should be wild and furious, but it needs utter control to play. Or, the string intonation
in the prelude, with those high, delicate exposed violin lines. This kind of thing can't ever be

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:23:23 -0800, Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Solo parts, choral singing, orchestral playing and confucting are all challenged to operate
at the highest level and then you have the challenge of staging it in a way that convinces in
terms of treating both the pageantry and personal drama.
>Just those little string figurations at the beginning of the Nile Scene, that we totally take
for granted, are extremely difficult.

Modify your settings: