Subject: Re: Met «Aida» Next Season
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:23:23 -0800

Aida is to opera what Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis is to oratorio in terms of demands on performing forces: everything about it is incredibly difficult, even the few parts that sound easy.

Solo parts, choral singing, orchestral playing and confucting are all challenged to operate at the highest level and then you have the challenge of staging it in a way that convinces in terms of treating both the pageantry and personal drama.

Just those little string figurations at the beginning of the Nile Scene, that we totally take for granted, are extremely difficult.

It’s been that way over the full 50 years I’ve been going to the opera. A performance of “Aida” that succeeds with all the elements has always been a rarity and something of a psychic shock when it happens.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone