Subject: Re: Met SEMIRAMIDE tonight
From: Godfrey Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:22:20 -0500

I listened to the Semiramide (actually only the 2 hour 1st Act) on the Met Live site. Not exactly
a performance for the ages but it was OK....bound to get better. The Russian Assur was by far
the weakest link in the cast and Senor Camarena equally the strongest link. Elizabeth Deshong
(oft confused in my mind with Michelle Deyoung) was a revelation from the get go. Angela
Meade? I dunno...she was fine, no real problem and not much excitement either.

In the last week or so I've listened to 2 other performances. The ROH of late last year with
DiDonato, Barcellona, Brownlee and Pertusi. I felt this one had better singing, particularly on
the part of the lead role, but, still, I prefer to hear a soprano. And then a couple of days ago
the 1983 Carnegie Hall performance with June Anderson, Horne, Ramey and a tenor I don't
know. Horne totally brought the house down with her second act area. Extended ovation. The
remarkable thing with her and Ramey was their diction - I could actually understand what they
were singing most of the time. I had forgotten how nice that is! Anderson, like Meade, was
unremarkable but I do enjoy hearing the high notes that DiDonato does not provide.

The performance that sticks forever in my mind is of course the first one I ever saw: San
Francisco with Caballe, Horne, Morris, & Gonzales. That was really something!