Subject: Re: Lella Cuberli
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Feb 2018 16:15:30 -0500

Cuberli was exquisite.  I heard her in Pesaro as Mme Folleville in
"Viaggio" and later in Chicago as Amenaide in "Tancredi."  I saw multiple
"Semiramide's" during the original MET run most with Cuberli as Anderson
canceled several times later in the season.

The voice was warmer and richer than the "glassy" Anderson's and much more
suited to Rossini's "Colbran" roles.  I enjoyed Cuberli's "Semiramide" more
than Anderson's - a nobler, more majestic sound as opposed to Anderson's
singing "Barbie Doll."

Someone mentioned her "Fonit Cetra" recital and it is indeed a little known
treasure well worth seeking out.  There is also a an "Elisabetta, Regina
d'Inghilterra" on DVD with the staging updated to Rossini's time.  She and
Rockwell Blake are two American kids who along with Marilyn Horne and Chris
Merritt are a living textbook of how Rossini should be sung.

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 3:10 PM, Don <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I stand corrected about the death of Cuberli.  I have thought for years
> that she had died from brain cancer.  I am very glad that I was wrong and
> that she is still around.  Too bad about the decline of her voice which
> several listers have mentioned.
> DonD
>
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 12:57 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > I heard her several times in Brussels and once at la Scala (Tell).
> > Cuberli was her much older husband's name, she was 100% an American girl.
> > Her real name escapes me now. They were an extremely nice and friendly
> > couple.
> > In her prime she was a very fine bel canto singer (student of Celetti)
> but
> > then all of a sudden in the nineties it was all over. The voice was
> > suddenly shot.
> > I especially remember a very painful recital at the Munt/Monnaie in
> > Brussels in 1997 (Tony Pappano at the piano).
> > That was the end of it.
> > That fonit cetra disc of belcanto arias is indeed a marvel which I've
> > treasured since
> >
> > RvdB

[image: Reply to Don <[log in to unmask]>]
[image: Forward]Forward
Edit subject
Pop out reply