Subject: Re: Another announcer - David Elliott (WHRB Boston)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Feb 2018 12:01:08 -0500

Being the one that started this thread, I want to say as well that if indeed my own
remarks came off as insensitive to anyone, it was not intended that way. I have also
admired David's work for a number of years, and I also agree that he is virtually
irreplaceable - both in terms of the unique programming he does (and the care he always
takes in doing it) - and as Kati and others have pointed out, that there may not be
anyone else who can do anything near what he does.

Perhaps it is selfish of me to expect anyone in David's case (given such an audible change
in his announcing capabilities) to feel it necessary to explain his current state to his
listeners, though I do think doing so would ultimately help rather than hurt. But that's his
decision - and if my original post was hurting rather than helping, I apologize - to him,
and to this list.

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:42:20 -0500, A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>You are right, I re-read the post and it does read insensitive, and I sincerely
apologize… I have enormous respect and admiration for David Elliot, have listened to
him and his programs for as at least 30 years, and would miss him and the program
enormously if he did step down. I was merely stating an observation about his value to
the station and to his listeners.

>From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 9:34 AM
>To: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Another announcer - David Elliott (WHRB Boston)
>

>So here is a very public thread, couched in terms of empathy and sensitivity,
speculating and diagnosing on the health of a private individual (not a public or elected
official, not an executive of a corporation you have stock in.)

>Consider the needless upset this sort of thing may cause him and his family.
>

>This perpetrators of this thread are shameless.
>

>I love opera, but increasingly find many who share that love embarrassingly detestable.
>

>If you really care about this guy,  you would all shut the f**k up.
>

>On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 9:00 AM A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Another important detail about David Elliot... if you like the programming he provides
after the opera, it will no longer be on the air once he is gone.  There is nobody in all of
Cambridge, much less at Harvard Radio, who has his enormous knowledge and interest in
artists of the past, or even opera for that matter. All those scratchy recordings with faded
voices that he plays may drive me batty (yesterday I could not even bear to tune in, I
wanted to keep those marvelous voices in my mind) but it is such an instructive and
wonderful program, and gorgeous once he gets into the 40s and 50s of course.

>On 2/11/18, 8:45 AM, "A Katalin Mitchell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>    Yes, I am quite sure he had a stroke.  He is also old, I have met him 10 years ago
and he already looked like someone in his  mid 70s.  He practically owns the station
(it’s a joke - he has run the classical programming for almost half a century), so he
will be on the air as long as he feels like he is up to it.  None of the young folk in charge
of WHRB would dare to ask him to step down.
>    And I am sure it gives him great pleasure to do it, even if it sounds effortful.
>

>    On 2/10/18, 11:23 PM, "Discussion of opera and related issues on behalf of Jon
Goldberg" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>        As long as we're talking opera/classical announcers - does anyone know what has
happened
>        to the fantastic David Elliott on WHRB? He does a lead-in to the Met every
Saturday, plus an