Subject: Re: "una furtive" - was Re: L'Elisir today from the Met as heard on WQXR
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Feb 2018 11:24:25 -0500

I was happy to see that at least one poster remembered the great "tenore
di grazia", Cesare valletti - last of that genre, I fear.  However, I do
agree that there have been several Nemorinos of the past that merit, at
the very least, "honorable mention": Pav, Carreras, Ferruccio
Tagliavini, DiStefano

As to today's L'Elisir - a decent effort, but nothing noteworthy;
and,again, I needed to get my hearing back on track by playing the 1966
broadcast with Carlo Bergonzi, Fernando Corena (absolute masters of
their roles), along with superb performances by Roberta Peters & Frank
Guarrera.

Corena had the ability to "steal" whatever scenes in which he appeared,
not only in Donizetti & Rossini & Mozart, but even as the Sacristan &
Melitone.  Again, there has been no other comic bass that approached his
abilities since his retirement.  I think it appropriate to also mention
some excellent performances of both Dulcamara AND Belcore by the
wonderful Leo Nucci - great characterizations by a leading "Verdi
baritone" in both roles.

Paolo