Subject: Another announcer - David Elliott (WHRB Boston)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 23:23:21 -0500

As long as we're talking opera/classical announcers - does anyone know what has happened
to the fantastic David Elliott on WHRB? He does a lead-in to the Met every Saturday, plus an
extensive and always great "post vocal program" after the Met broadcast.

But all this season, he's been very uncomfortable to listen to. With my limited knowledge of
medical issues, it sounds like he has possibly had a stroke. His words slur, he speaks slower,
and talking just sounds difficult for him - yet he bravely soldiers on. But nothing, to my
knowledge, has been said about it - I don't believe he has, and I don't believe the station
has. I keep wanting to email the station to ask something, but I also feel uncomfortable
doing *that*. (Even typing this message is a bit awkward for me. I just don't want to pry -
and yet I hope maybe someone knows what has happened.)

It's to the point where I just don't listen to his time on the air anymore - and I used to love
that post-Met time. It's very hard to hear him struggle, especially when it seems no one is
being upfront about his condition.

I want to wish him the best (and really I do), but I also wonder if it's time for him to pass
on the torch?

Modify your settings: