Subject: Re: Mary Jo Heath (Met broadcaster during today's broadcast of L'Elisir)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 23:14:19 -0500

I assume that the only prerecording done for the Saturday broadcasts are when they are
repeats of an "archived" performance (like the Thais a few weeks ago) - for those, I
assume they record the commentary separately.

Some of the interviews done during intermission are prerecorded as well (same for the
Sirius weeknight broadcasts at times) - but they tend to say something about that ("so-
and-so stopped by the other day and this was the interview..." etc)

Even though I'm still not a fan of the dual host thing, I do think Mary Jo does an
admirable job. Siff is extremely knowledgeable of course, but something in his voice
always makes it sound like he's on the verge of tears. Very odd.

One of the most uncomfortable parts of the Sirius weeknight broadcasts is at the end,
when Heath and Berger have to sell sell sell sell the upcoming opera selection being
broadcast at midnight. I get why they do it - why they HAVE to do it - but it always
sounds so phony.

Otherwise, at this point, I'm pretty used to Heath and the 2 guys, lol - just that I have
this constant urge to offer Siff a tissue...;-)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 17:08:42 +0000, Brian T <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>You know what?  One of the hardest that one might be asked to do on a live
broadcast, is to read the plots of the operas. Yes, the host has to read from a "script", so
they don't miss anything--but the pressure being "live" must be very difficult.And if one
gets a little distracted (like Mary Jo did today when she laughed at Mr. Siff) no wonder
she lost her place in the "reading script"!  She took a few seconds to recover, but what
I'm getting at, it's surprising this doesn't happen more often.