Subject: "una furtive" - was Re: L'Elisir today from the Met as heard on WQXR
From: k youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 18:36:31 -0600

For me the standard version of this aria against which I measure others is the one sung by Cesare Valletti in a black & white Italian film of the operas from around 1950 (give or take).

Valletti performs it with a dreamlike quality which, matched with his beautiful timbre, makes an uncommon aria out of one that we may have heard a few too many times. It’s a reflection, not a declamation.

And yes, Bob, the di Stefano early (1944) version is rather scrumptious as well.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Feb 10, 2018, at 4:26 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Polenzani, who once again showed us what he can do rather
> than how it should go. "Una furtiva lagrima" featured all of
> his technical skills, and it went for nothing in this house.
> I hear variations on a theme of "anything he can do I can
> do better, except that I can't phrase". Listen to Schipa, Di Stefano
> and, especially, Bergonzi, to know how music, as opposed
> to notes, is supposed to go. There is a reason why he is
> not a World class star. The definition of "good", not "great".

"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.” - Niccolo Machiavelli, political philosopher and author