Subject: Re: Written on Skin
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 16:07:49 -0700

I can understand the "not liking it" feeling.  I've been going to the Santa
Fe Opera for over 50 years and attended the American or world premiere of
over 50 "new"  operas and I can say that I "really liked" a dozen  of them
and usually not ones the critics liked.  That includes some Strauss operas
which had not been done in this country so they were not exactly new.  Of
course premiers of operas like Lulu don't really count as they were already
established somewhere except for the three-act Lulu which was only done in
Paris before it was done in Santa Fe.   This admirable list included 45
American operas and 14 world premieres so my odds of liking one has not
been terrific.  Still I go just in case I can add another on to my "liked"
list.
DonD

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.