Subject: re Favorite opera books
From: Operatics <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:04:04 -0800

I just recalled a book I read and loved in the 60s /Journey Towards
Music, a Memoir /by Victor Gollancz.  Don't know how I'd feel about it
now, but  Kirkus wrote "Gollancz's many years as a reporter, biographer,
and critic of music and musicians give him a tremendous scope of
anecdotes, and .."Virtually a whole education in the last century of
opera performance, this makes happy reading for a musicologist at any
level of expertise: it is intimate without being cloying."

Estelle