Subject: Re: Levine returns to the Sirius airwaves (sattelite beams?)
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 16:28:27 -0600

David:

    You are obviously referring to a Nilsson broadcast of "Walkure" in 1972 from the Met, where you say that "strident tone was settling in".  I don't know how reliable that broadcast was, but Nilsson did a Ring Series in Chicago (Valkure in 1972, Seigfried in 1973, and Gotterdammerung in 1974) and was outstanding.  Moreover, she sang a single performance of Salome with the Chicago Symphony under Solti in December of 1974, and all but caused the plaster on the walls to come tumbling down.  I saw all of those performances, and was, along with critics, totally blown away, especially by the Solome.  It was one of the most memorable evenings of my opera-going life.

                                                                                     Les