Subject: L'Elisir today from the Met as heard on WQXR
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 22:26:20 +0000

I only heard the second act, but I was not overly impressed,
grouse bag that I am.

Pretty was really very good, except that she shouldn't do
high Eb kinda stuff with that sound. It's accurate but it ain't
pretty. Still. she was more than ok, much more. She phrases
very well, quite different from -

Polenzani, who once again showed us what he can do rather
than how it should go. "Una furtiva lagrima" featured all of
his technical skills, and it went for nothing in this house.
I hear variations on a theme of "anything he can do I can
do better, except that I can't phrase". Listen to Schipa, Di Stefano
and, especially, Bergonzi, to know how music, as opposed
to notes, is supposed to go. There is a reason why he is
not a World class star. The definition of "good", not "great".

Since I only heard one act, I can't do an overall assessment, but
I'd venture, from that which I heard, that it was very enjoyable,
though far from a benchmark.

Bob