Subject: Re: 'The Mania For Inclusion'
From: Pandora Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 17:38:58 +0000

In fact, ARE there any great female composers? Pray tell.

    On Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:34 AM, Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 14:54:40 -0500, Genevieve Castle Room
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>"The coming mania for inclusion will erode standards of merit and
>excellence"
>
>[....]
>
>"Music critic Alex Ross triggered outrage against the Chicago Symphony
>Orchestra and the Philadelphia Orchestra last week when he tweeted that
>they had programmed no female composers in their 2018-2019 seasons. Never
>mind that over most of music history, the greatest composers have been
>male.

Well, at one time, it could be said that the greatest performers were male
(disputable, but it could easily be said, and looking at the makeup of
orchestras a century ago, understandable).  Are you saying that there AREN'T
ANY great women composers? Do those orchestras limit their repertory to ONLY
the greatest male composers? I'm guessing if we looked at their repertories,
some of us would find names that'd prompt us to hold our noses.