Subject: Re: Levine returns to the Sirius airwaves (sattelite beams?)
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:51:39 -0500

My thought on this issue is a little different. No one can deny Levine's
making the Met orchestra into a virtuoso instrument when at times in the
past it could sound like a pick-up band.  I was never a fan of his
conducting, however, finding him incapable of real profundity (of the type
Thielemann brought to 'Frau') in any repertoire.  At one point I thought I
had it figured out -- in whatever tempo he was playing his eighth notes were
always too short in relation to everything else.

During Levine's Sirius absence it often occurred to me that it was
unfortunate that he hogged so much of the repertoire for so long.  There was
a '71 'Tristan' with Leinsdorf recently that was really splendid.  (And so,
by the way, was Nilsson.  It might have been the best 'Liebestod' I have
ever heard her sing.  And by the next year, as evidenced in a 'Walküre'
broadcast not long ago, the strident tone was setting in.)

I understand that there were issues with conductors demanding amounts of
rehearsal time the Met could not manage contractually, but I have rather
enjoyed listening to other people over the last months.

David Kubiak

Modify your settings: