Subject: Re: Favorite Ariadne recording - BSO in concert.
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 16:41:38 +0000

My favorite studio set remains the Leinsdorf, which for me does NOT show off a lot of Rysanek weaknesses evident on , say, her OTELLO. Maybe Peters' best complete recording? And she really makes her touching.

But I also love Maria Reining and the spirited of not note-perfect Alda Noni in the 1944 live set. I am not surprised to hear that our Leading Quietist poster lacks the moral imagination or empathy to understand that such wartime Axis live recordings unsettle those of us who-- if caught in the concert hall or on the street during them-- would have been hauled off and exterminated on one grounds or another. Guess he didn't learn that when he was taught to DEIGN to tolerate minorities-- at least until they peskily begin to challenge long-held assumptions and long-standing hierarchies!After all, Strauss's in-laws were murdered in concentration camps and he feared that his daughter-in-law and grandsons might be as well. His first Bacchus (Hermann Jadlowker) would have been had he not escaped to Palestine. and his first 'revised" Zerbinetta might have been had she (Selma Kurz) not have died in 1933.
Back to ARIADNE recordings: glad to learn that the BSO 1969 concert is available in better print and sound than the old copy I have. There are some other notable singers as well: John Reardon as Harlekin ( the commedia players inĀ  their concert garb evoke THE BOYS IN THE BAND cast en route to THE STAIRCASE) and Benita Valente as Naiad. Sils is amazing but the real treasure is Watson, who barely moved and yet utterly *becomes* Ariadne. The best souvenir of her singing we have, I think, though the Freia for Solti is superb

Best- David