Subject: Re: favorite opera books
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 17:53:53 +0000

Donald and list

I'll add two that I think have not been mentioned and which
have been invaluable reference guides over the years.

The New Kobbe's Complete Opera Book - over 1600 pages of
synopses, musical quotes and important revivals of just
about any opera worthy of the name. I bought my first in 1960
and have purchased updated versions several times. Its first
edition was in 1919. They must be doing something right!

The Metropolitan Opera Guide to Recorded Opera - which has
been  my primary guide to studio recordings since 1993, the
year of its publication. Most, though not all of the recordings
worth owning were available at that time.

The Kobbe is unique and should be part of every opera lover's
library. It has no equal, at least none of which I am aware.

Bob