Subject: Re: favorite opera books
From: Sheila Pinsker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 02:07:59 -0500

> On Feb 9, 2018, at 1:15 PM, Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I know this may sound a little nuts, but I remember as a kid that my grandfather had a very old edition of The Victrola Book of Opera.

The 1919 edition was my operatic “bible”. I still have its tattered remains plus some other editions
from 1915 thru the Simon and Schuster version.

For background on The Ring, I like "Kingdom on the Rhine” by Nancy Benvenga.
“Back in the last century” I took Spanish in college. One of our texts was a scholastic
reduction of “Fausto”, I believe the author was Campo. It is the story of Faust thru the
eyes and ears of a gaucho who happened to be in the upper reaches of the Colon for
its first performance there. Don’t know if there is an English version of it.

Bob P