Subject: Re: Favorite Opera Books
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 01:29:11 -0500

Also, Goldovsky's "Bringing Opera To Life," which is all about ways to approach directing
opera. It does get very technical, and some of Goldovsky's methods get a little too
complex (his breakdown of the intro music to "Ella giammai m'amo, for instance, is
masterful but way too detailed for practical use by most singers) - but it's a fascinating
read. it's also an interesting book in light of our current Regie movement, since this was
way before that - but he does have fun debunking and deriding the nonsense of older
"traditional" stagings that were just as ridiculous in their time.

Someone had mentioned "Ring Resounding" which is a lot of fun - even if Culshaw
embellishes things.

I notice a few people have mentioned the Wayne Koestenbaum book. I remember trying
to read it but found his language way too fawning and purple for my taste. But perhaps
I'll take another look - it's been a while.