Subject: Favorite Opera Books
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Feb 2018 00:47:26 -0500

Boris Goldovsky: The Adult Mozart, books 1 & 2

The Great Tenor Tragedy: Henry Pleasants (About Adolphe Nourrit)

Listen to This - Alex Ross (This is about music in general and some opera - It is full of marvelous examples, and with the aid of YouTube I run down his examples as I read, which makes it lots of fun.

Accents on Opera - Boris Goldovsky with some research by Mary Ellis Peltz

And a lot of the books you have mentioned

I also have The Record of Singing, Vols 1 & 2, edited by Michael Scott.

I love the bio of Caruso by Andrew Farkas with Dorothy Caruso. Andrew edited a whole series of books about singers fro Amadeus Press.

A MIngled Chime - Beecham

I will read anything that Conrad Osborne writes. That’s a current blog.

One of my favorite books about opera is “The Voice and Singing”, which is actually a vocal manual with essays that are perfectly wonderful, discussing a lot of the great 19th Century singers, mainly describing their voices, what roles they were best in, and what kinds of voices are suited to the roles. Perfectly marvelous.

There is a book by Alfred Tomatis, a French ENT, which goes into a lot about singing, but one of the best bits is  some pages of interview with Gigli ; The Ear and the Voice, Alfred Tomatis.

I love Enzo Valenti Ferro’s book on the annals of the Teatro Colon. It’s more of a listing of performances, but one does get details about singers and the types of things they sang.

I also love a lot of the books you have mentioned. I used to have Grout: A Short History of Opera - I bought it in college. I gave it away.

Also this: Stanislavsky worked with opera singers at the Moscow Art Theater, and he spent time suing over the art of Chaliapin. So all the books he write are worth looking through. There is one that is especially good.  And I am too lazy to pull them\all down. But I have My Life in Art, An Actor Prepares, and a couple of others.

One I am not fond of is the book by Jerry Hines of interviews with singers. I dunno - if I go back and read it again it may appeal to me more.

I also have pile of vocal manuals - everything from Garcia and Faure on up. This do not qualify as books on opera. I do love them. Some are insightful while others are quaint. When they are quaint, I give them away.

Just in case anyone knows singers, there is a dandy book of advice by Dr Brodnitz: Keep Your Voice Healthy. It is old fashioned good advice. He says all that all injury to the cords comes form pushing and over singing. Still a great book, and there is even a recording of him talking about singing.

But my library is mainly scores.

I also have a collection of books on songs of lots of composers: Poulenc  (by Bernac), Reynaldo Hahn on singers talking about singing, for starters.

RP