Subject: Re: Favorite Opera Books
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Feb 2018 22:20:52 -0500

K Youngmann wrote:

>I’d like to hear what books other Opera L folk recommend.

These are favorites of mine...

--'The Genesis of Debussy's *Pelléas et Mélisande' *by David Grayson

--'The Operas of Leoš Janáček: A Documentary Account' by John Tyrrell

--'The Gilded Stage: A Social History of Opera' by Daniel Snowman

--'French Baroque Opera: A Reader' by Caroline Wood and Graham Sadler

--'The St. James Encyclopedia of Opera' by John Guinn and Les Stone

--'Busoni's Doktor Faust: A Critical Study' by Philip Murray Dineen

--'Aspects of Modern Opera' by Lawrence Gilman

--'The Oxford Handbook of Opera' edited by Helen Greenwald

--'Aesthetics of Opera in the Ancien Regime, 1647-1785' by Downing A. Thomas

*--'*The Temptation of Paul Hindemith: Mathis der Maler as a
Spiritual Testimony' by Siglind Bruhn