Subject: Re: favorite opera books
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Feb 2018 18:58:37 -0500

Ugh, again late to the party. I'll just list some of my favorites across
different genres.

- Three volumes of Julian Budden's magisterial study of THE OPERAS OF
VERDI, and also Charles Osborne's single-volume on Verdi's operas
- two great surveys of singers, Steane's THE GRAND TRADITION and Michael
Scott's THE RECORD OF SINGING
- Jackson's volumes on the Met radio broadcasts, especially his first
volume as reviews from that period are rare and often difficult to find
- Eleanor Steber's AUTOBIOGRAPHY and Vishnevskaya's GALINA for two very
different but enormously engaging autobiographies
- Charles Minzer's ROSA RAISA for a model biography
- a thrilling memoir about politics and music-making by Berta Geissmar, THE
BATON AND THE JACKBOOT
- John Ardoin's superlative annotated discography on Callas (THE CALLAS
LEGACY)
- as a general reference for opera synopses with charming wit and humor,
Sir Denis Forman's A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
- George Jellinek's interesting volume HISTORY THROUGH THE OPERA GLASS
- James McCourt's hilarious novel MAWRDEW CZGOWCHWZ

And always near my reach are two readers that educate, amuse and enlighten,
all at once thanks to the genius of their authors, SHAW ON MUSIC and A
VIRGIL THOMSON READER (obviously not just about opera).

Best, Vesna