Subject: Re: favorite opera books
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Feb 2018 18:29:45 -0500

Dear Listers:

My favorite opera books, or the ones I consult most frequently, are :

•  The New Grove Dictionary of Opera in four volumes (1992), edited by Stanley Sadie (I
can spend hours reading this, jumping from article to another)
•  A Night at the Opera – An Irreverent Guide to The Plots, The Singers, The Composers,
The Recordings (1994) by Denis Forman – I don’t always agree with Mr. Forman, but his
opinions are always well thought out, entertaining and funny
•  The Queen’s Throat (1993) by Wayne Koestenbaum (1993)
•  Verdi and His Contemporaries –A Selected Chronology of Performances with Casts
(1990), by the much-regretted former Lister Tom Kaufman

but of course I have many others.

While I was stationed in Brazil, I started reading and collecting the volumes on the history
of opera (“Coleção História da Ópera,” published by Perspectiva) by the Brazilian
musicologist Lauro Machado Coelho, which I find absolutely sensational and equal to
anything published in the so-called “First World.”  I very often peruse them, as they are so
informative and a pleasure to read.  The collection comprises :

•  A Opera Barroca Italiana
•  A Ópera Clássica Italiana
•  A Ópera Romântica Italiana
•  A Ópera Italiana Após 1870
•  A Ópera na França
•  A Ópera Alemã
•  As Óperas de Richard Strauss
•  A Ópera Inglesa
•  A Ópera Tcheca
•  A Ópera na Rússia
•  A Ópera nos Estados Unidos

I believe Lauro Machado Coelho was married to the Brazilian operatic soprano Eliane Coelho,
“Kammersängerin” of the Vienna State Opera, but I couldn’t swear to it.  If someone could
confirm that (or deny it), please feel free.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.