Subject: Re: favorite opera books
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Feb 2018 17:34:38 -0500

I couldn't agree more with Idia about Mawrdew Czgowchwz.  My favorite bit
among many is the "throw away" reference to Christine Radcliffe and
Holllenius.- characters played by Bette Davis and the glorious Claude
Raines (arguably his best performance?) in "Deception."  I remember
laughing out loud when I first read it.

Also in terms of fiction I would list Anne Rice's "Cry to Heaven"- she
captures the world of Baroque Opera and the Castrati in a compelling and
convincing way.

About Singers:  Michael Scott's peerless "Record of Singing 1 & 2" and John
Steane's indespensible "The Grand Tradition" Rasponi's "Last of the Prima
Donnas goes without saying

Singer Biographies:  "La Nilsson," Hermann Klein's "The Reign of Patti,"
"Joan Sutherland" the first bio by Russell Brandon describing the real
obstacles she faced before becoming "La Stupenda:, George Jellineck's
"Callas - Portrait of a Prima Donna" perceptively written while the career
was still in progress

Composers:  Weinstock's Bellini & Rossini, Winton Dean's "Handel's Operas 1
& 2,"  and of course, Charles Osborne's "Complete Operas of Verdi"

Wagner:  He is just as interesting seen through the eyes of his family
coping with the legacy:  "Heritage of Fire" by Friedlind Wagner and her
biography by Eva Rieger;  Oliver Hilmes "Cosima Wagner," and Brigitte
Hamann's "Winifred Wagner" - you have to constantly slap yourself to not be
completely charmed while still feeling horrified.