Subject: Favorite Opera Books
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Feb 2018 22:27:10 +0000

Hello everybody -

I own about 200 books devoted to the subject and over half
of them are singer biographies, from "Playing my Part" by
Frida Leider to the wonderful Italian Azzali seriies, devoted
to about twenty Italian singers of the 1940-1980 period.
I have no favorites and all have their value as historical records,
especially those with chronologies, which have provided
invaluable information about careers and colleagues.

The John Ardoin "Callas Legacy", updated a number of times,
has provided enormous pleasure and insights over nearly a
half Century. We do not always agree, but I always understand
why he writes what he does.

A special "shout out" to my dear friend, Charlie Mintzer, whose
biography of Rosa Raisa is a model of that which defines careful
research combined with love of subject. His chronology should
be the dictionary definition of how this stuff goes.

And then there's Bob Tuggle's "Golden Age of Opera" with its
incredible treasure of Mishkin photograps. It is "indispensable"
insofar as that word has any real meaning.

There are others, many others, but these are very special!

Modify your settings: