Subject: Re: Favorite Ariadne recording?
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:34:38 -0500

After Salome (that I learned to love from the Caballé recording - which I still
treasure - it also have what I think is among the best Herods on record in
Richard Lewis) the second Strauss opera I got to love was Ariadne (just the
opening bars are so characteristic and energetic). I remember getting the
Norman-Gruberova-Varady commercial recording, and I still think that these
three ladies are amazing in these parts. The scene between the Composer
and Zerbinetta, wow. I am not a big fan of Ms Gruberova - but she was a
stunning Zerbinetta, a part that suits her so much better (in my opinion) than
the Italian belcanto which she later choice to focus on. I don't like the slide to
the last high D in the aria - but apart from that perfection. And Ms Norman is
so noble and sings so beautifully....

I saw a performance with the Nederlandse Reisoper last year, great, great,
great. This was one of these productions where the Composer stayed
throughout the opera - and it worked well.

Cheers
Ulrik