Subject: Re: favorite opera books
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Feb 2018 18:00:13 +0000

It has been discussed--but so has everything else, and it's a fun
subject.

I tend to stay away from general histories of opera and biographies of
opera singers (although I have a fondness for autobiographies, in
particular Lotte Lehmann's). A few favorite works include Henry
Pleasants's "The Great Singers"; John Steane's works, especially "The
Grand Tradition"; and the Opera on Record series. I love reading letters
and my favorites include the Strauss-Hofmannsthal correspondence, the
letters of Leonard Bernstein and the love letters of Kurt Weill and
Lotte Lenya ("Speak Low"). On specific composers, there's the Winton
Dean work on Handel's operas, Deryck Cooke's "I Saw the World End" (on
the Ring cycle), Norman Del Mar's biography of Strauss and Edward Dent's
study of Mozart operas (I know some of these are now dated, but
still...). For Met-centric books there are the Paul Jackson volumes on
the Saturday performances and the (very sadly) late Robert Tuggle's
"Golden Age of Opera." For opera novels, there's Willa Cather's "Song of
the Lark and James McCourt's "Mawrdew Czgowchwz."

The single opera book I probably learned the most from was Bryan Magee's
"The Tristan Chord: Wagner and Philosophy."

That's off the top of my head (and without recourse to my shelves); I'm
sure I've left out many of my favorite books.

Rich