Subject: Re: Operatic Inertia
From: Godfrey Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:29:37 -0500

I saw that production of Florencia at Moore School of Music, UofH, too. I liked it - once was
enough, but I'm kind of sorry I didn't make the effort to see Christine Goerke sing it in
Washington a couple yrs ago. I saw several of their shows and found the production values
high.

As far as the next season is concerned, I'm already semi-planning to come for Don
Giovanni, exclusively for Philippe Sly. He performs so seldom in the US - he was very
recently in Tucson and soon to be in Minneapolis but I couldn't make either one work for me
transportation-wise. I find him to be a wonderful performer; if his performance of DG at Aix
last summer is any indication we will get a very satisfying experience.

Regarding new operas, Mike, try The Second Violinist, currently available on OperaVision.
It's interesting to say the very least. I've seen quite a few current operas recently and
Fellow Travelers by Gregory Spears is far far ahead of all the rest. If you ever get a chance,
go. It sounds like he and his librettist have found an answer!

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 02:13:11 +0000, Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't find HGO's season quite as uninteresting as Max does, although I wish I could
understand the appeal of Florencia en el amazonas.  I saw it at the University of Houston a
few years ago, and thought it was a crashing bore.  And I'm not in principle opposed to the
new operas, although I haven't found that many that I really enjoy.  I love Akhnaten which
I find far superior to Satyagraha and I'm excited at the rumors that the Met is going to
present it in a couple of years.

>HGO has done Florencia twice in the past.  When an announcer at the local classical
station KUHF, which has now gone online only, would announce the premiere performances
in 1996, he would pronounce "en" the way the French do, i.e., "Florencia 'ahn' en el
amazonas."  Worse, when HGO brought it back in 2001, the same guy was there
announcing it and was still mispronouncing "en."  I don't know if he is still there, but I
probably won't have a chance to find out because I pretty much stopped listening to KUHF
when it switched to online only.
>Mike Leone
>[log in to unmask] il Leone!

Lyric
>[Opera of Chicago] I am interested in seeing."
>
>I feel the same way about Houston Grand Opera's just-announced 2018-19 season.
Nothing