Subject: Re: Jewish Take on Parsifal
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:31:09 -0500

An interesting take, but I found myself at odds with a lot of the article, and outside of
describing the production, there is very little about the musical performance and some
questionable (or "wrong") statements,; i.e., that in addition to "moans and screeches"
Wagner's writing for Kundry includes "atonal leaps."  What?

Oddly Goldman praises (sort of) the second act for Girard's production, but writes of the
musical:

"Parsifal’s second act is one of Wagner’s least interesting efforts. The flower maidens sing
an exotic little song of seduction that Jules Massenet could have written as well as Wagner,
while the horns announce the arrival of Parsifal in a cheery “Here I come to save the day!”
motif. One senses that the elderly Wagner, only a year away from death, was exhausted
and written out."

Thems is fightin' words, in my opinion!

That he feels Girard "fails" in the outer acts is, of course a personal opinion - we all have
them, but too many of us - audiences and critics alike - have been emotionally moved by
what we've seen (and heard) for it to honestly be called a failure.

Of Maestro Nézet-Séguin’ he seems conflicted, at the start of the article calling his
performance "effective" but concluding he ultimately failed demanding the audience focus
its attention on the

"progress of the music rather than drifting into timelessness as Wagner probably intended.
All of this made for an intensely unpleasant experience during the long first act, somewhat
tempered by brilliant singing . . . "

I  feel he's in error describing Kundry as a minor character in von Eschenbach.  I think
Wagner created a sort of hybrid - a distillation of several of the Grail myths more interesting
females, including Chretien de Troyes.  In Von Eschenbach account he describes her as "a
woman so talented that she spoke all languages: Latin, Heathen and French . . . familiar
with both dialectic and geometry; and she had also knowledge of astronnomy . . . (her)
nickname the sorceress. Her mouth was not restrained for she could say quite enough (and)
with it she dampened much joy."

That's certainly our gal, Kundry!

Just my opinion, of course.

p.