Subject: Re: Female Composers: (was "The Mania for Inclusion")
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 15:51:53 -0500

Of course "a woman could write music like that": imitative, pleasant, and
conventional.  Would you dare to name the more frequently performed
piano concertos by men that you consider to be inferior?

Why can't we accept what woman do well for it's own inestimable worth
instead of elevating their rare attempts to compete with men, the only
object of which, is to confer some vague sense of "inclusion".  If important
undiscovered women composers exist,  what evidence is there to prove
that their output has been deliberately suppressed?  When women artists
achieve greatness, as they persistently do, in performance, literature,
dance,
sculpture, theater, poetry, etc. etc., they get as much adulation as men.
I am sure if a great female composer were to emerge, she would be
recognized.
It is not impossible; it just hasn't happened yet.

As it does happen, I enjoyed L'AMOUR DE LOIN too;  I am not ready though,
to set
it up there beside PARSIFAL., not even beside LA RONDINE.  One of my
favorite
things in all music is the Gershwin PIANO CONCERTO IN F, but I would never
say
it must then be just as great a work as the Brahms Second Piano Concerto.
I like
it for what it is, not for the company it can't quite keep.

dtmk