Subject: Re: Records
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 22:22:41 -0500

Back in the Sixties, when Dylan and the like were so popular, if you turned
the radio on now and then, it was hardly necessary to actually buy any
of that stuff.  As a collector, I always had certain goals, composers whose
works I wanted complete  likewise conductors, pianists, and singers; I
didn't
allow myself to be distracted by ephemera, with the possible exception of
Herb
Alpert's lps, the covers of which were in themselves collectible., and Kate
Smith,
who was then no longer as "popular" as she once had been, but whose vast
discography somehow posed a challenge.  I may have come close to actual
completeness in her case, as I did with John McCormack, Toscanini, Melchior,
Stokowski, Schlusnus, Lemnitz, and others.  I have everything of Wagner,
Brahms, Mahler, Sibelius, Rachmaninoff, Puccini, Chopin, Strauss, and maybe
even Shostakovitch.  Of course, all of that, and more, is available at a
moment's
notice for "streaming".  That is a development which obviates collecting
entirely,
but the materialist in me still relishes the ability to put my hands on the
things
I treasure.  With that, the only trouble is "you can't take it with you",
plus the
fact that you can't give it away either.

dtmk