Subject: Joan of Arc
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 18:24:07 -0500

We did The Martyrdom of St Sebastian at the Colon, semi-staged.  Zorina had done it but in this case it was Teresa Serantes who was the diceuse. As I recall Felicia Montealegre , Bernstein’s wife (Chilean) had a career as a diceuse. My net impression was that the spoken dialog needed an overblown style of recitation that made it rather dated, as I imagine Racine was. Joan of Arc at the stake must have similar dramatic requirements. I wonder what would happen if they were done as films. They have potential special effects, and the dialog might prosper in this medium. On stage they are oratorios.

As for the Tchaikovsky Joan, it is very intense in the aria. It feels a bit manic, and justifiably so, I think. She is a real person, but I found her hard to wrap my head around.

I saw scenes from the Shaw play but before I can have an opinion I have to read the whole thing. In the scene I saw she was trying to buck up the Dauphin. He was wimpy and she was a nanny
Figure made so by his inaction and youth. He was stymied by older courtiers who held hostage financially.

Changing subjects: I learned a lot about opera from Opera News starting in college. I lugged my whole pile of back issues to Buenos Aires and uses them as background on roles I studied. Bob Jacobson et al. wrote wonderfully.

I eventually ditched them because they were dust catchers. I also gave away many CDs I had no intention of listening to again.

I am about to winnow CDs again. Some that I buy out of curiosity do not stand the test of time.

My first LPs were Fisher Dieskau doing Schubert, Schwartzkopf and de Los Angeles in mixed recitals.
My high school sweetheart bought me Ravel: The Spanish Hour, with Suzanne Danco. It had only one disc, so he could afford it!

RP
Sent from my iPhone