Subject: Re: favorite opera books
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 15:26:34 -0500

So many favorites, and so many of mine are so worn down, pages coming out, from repeated use:

Alan Blyth Opera on Record
Gianfranco Rasponi, The Last Prima Donnas
The Metropolitan Opera Guide to Recorded Opera
Rupert Christensen, Prima Donna
The Grove Dictionary of Operas
The Grove Dictionary of Opera Singers
A Rage for Opera (love the description of Regine Crespin's voice, lava, but sometimes a piece of metal emerges from the mix at the bottom and middle)

Kind of off topic, by maybe another thread:

I own scores of Norma, La Forza del Destino, La Gioconda, Samson et Dalila, Dido and Aeneas, Il Trovatore, Don Giovanni, and Parsifal.

Mezzomaniac (I also own I think Great Arias for Mezzo-Soprano, something like that, for those mezzos who want to study specific arias)

P.S. I am the "opera" star of my department's Twitter today, for Valentine's Day:

If the link does not work, just google UIC English Twitter.

Modify your settings: