Subject: Re: "The Maid of Orleans"/Jeanne d'Arc au Boucher
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 14:47:06 -0500

I too, have long loved Honneger’s oratorio/piece which, as a kid I figured
translated into “Joan at the Butcher’s.”  Seriously

I remember seeing, sometime back in the 90’s, the remarkable 1928 silent
film “The Passion of Joan of Arc” starring the incomparable Renée Jeanne Falconetti
Falconetti (in only her second and final film).  It had been restored and
Richard Einhorn wrote a beautiful oratorio “Voices of Light,” served as the
new, live soundtrack.  It is still performed this way from time to time and a
must-see event.  The film is available with the oratorio as an optional
soundtrack in the Criterion release of the film.  I consider it a “must have.”

Here's a sort of trailer for it.

Modify your settings: