Subject: Re: "The Maid of Orleans"/Jeanne d'Arc au Boucher
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:42:47 -0500

Odyssey Opera is presenting it this Saturday in Cambridge. Looking forward...
Kati

 ´╗┐On 2/14/18, 9:57 AM, "Discussion of opera and related issues on behalf of donald kane" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]> wrote:

    All I recall of the Honneger is its episodic nature; I have an aversion to
    dialogue
    mixed with music.  I think the works which the historical Joan has inspired
    fail to match, in performance history and audience acceptance, the celebrity
    that one might expect from so iconic a personage.  The fact that Shakespeare
    denigrated her so (in one of his lesser works) is significant. Not even
    Ingrid
    Bergman, at the peak of her popularity, could come to the rescue, either on
    stage or screen.  There is a painting I admire by Ingres, but that's a
    personal
    taste for a style of portraiture frequently derided.

    dtmk