Subject: Re: "The Maid of Orleans"
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 09:57:35 -0500

All I recall of the Honneger is its episodic nature; I have an aversion to
mixed with music.  I think the works which the historical Joan has inspired
fail to match, in performance history and audience acceptance, the celebrity
that one might expect from so iconic a personage.  The fact that Shakespeare
denigrated her so (in one of his lesser works) is significant. Not even
Bergman, at the peak of her popularity, could come to the rescue, either on
stage or screen.  There is a painting I admire by Ingres, but that's a
taste for a style of portraiture frequently derided.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 6:51 AM, David Geary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >There has always seemed to me to be a jinx of some kind
> >on the subject of Joan in works of art. Is there a truly outstanding
> >masterpiece by anyone in which she appears?
> I think Honegger's "Joan of Arc at the stake" is a masterpiece, a very
> moving wotk with gorgeous music. It can be performed as either an oratorio
> or a stage work, when  I was first in St. Gallen in Switzerland we did it
> staged and it was voted the production of the year by the opera magazine
> "Orpheus." That magazine was based in Berlin, I've no idea if it still
> exists.
> A very funny sideline to that is that in the program there was the
> announcement "This production of 'Joan of Arc at the stake' has been
> sponsored by the Helvetia Fire Insurance Company."
> David

Modify your settings: