Subject: Re: "The Maid of Orleans"
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 09:57:35 -0500

All I recall of the Honneger is its episodic nature; I have an aversion to
dialogue
mixed with music.  I think the works which the historical Joan has inspired
fail to match, in performance history and audience acceptance, the celebrity
that one might expect from so iconic a personage.  The fact that Shakespeare
denigrated her so (in one of his lesser works) is significant. Not even
Ingrid
Bergman, at the peak of her popularity, could come to the rescue, either on
stage or screen.  There is a painting I admire by Ingres, but that's a
personal
taste for a style of portraiture frequently derided.

dtmk