Subject: Re: "The Maid of Orleans"
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:51:14 +0100

>There has always seemed to me to be a jinx of some kind
>on the subject of Joan in works of art. Is there a truly outstanding
>masterpiece by anyone in which she appears?

I think Honegger's "Joan of Arc at the stake" is a masterpiece, a very moving wotk with gorgeous music. It can be performed as either an oratorio or a stage work, when  I was first in St. Gallen in Switzerland we did it staged and it was voted the production of the year by the opera magazine "Orpheus." That magazine was based in Berlin, I've no idea if it still exists.
A very funny sideline to that is that in the program there was the announcement "This production of 'Joan of Arc at the stake' has been sponsored by the Helvetia Fire Insurance Company."

Modify your settings: