Subject: Re: Opera Newzzzzzzzz
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Feb 2018 01:26:04 -0600

It wouldn't come as a surprise to me that the magazine will eventually (perhaps sooner than later) end of defunct.  The format has changed to a point that it is almost unrecognizable from what it was even ten or fifteen years ago.  I started reading OPERA NEWS (older issues in the late 1950s, when the publication was a small booklet and full of interesting reading.  I was only in my early teens at the time, but I remember the new formats in 1960 and in 1962, saw little  except for the larger format of the magazine.  I couldn't wait for it to arrive so that I could tear into it.
    Because I'm moving to a new residence on April lst, and have had a lot on my plate (what with realtors, attorneys, and the like, I realized last September that I could live without it for a year or so.  But after listening to fellow posters, all of whose judgement I respect, I'm wondering if I should even bother re-subscribing at all.  The whole publicaion seems to me to have become flimsy, with considerably less real content, and a lot of glitz that I can do without.
    To a large extent, it's lost it's purpose.  What with the internet, OPERA L and other sites, Opera News is becoming rather unnecessary.  I've subscribed to it since 1972 and I used to really read if from cover to cover.  No more.
    The audience has changed (a much younger audience), and these seem to be the group being targeted.
Can't pinpoint the difference, but it's simply not the same.  Will I renew next year?  Am not at all certain.  Moreover, with the operatic repertoire being presented in Chicago during 2018 and 2019, I'm starting to wonder whether I even WANT to go anymore.  I still love and treasure my DVDs and CDs, and I love acquiring new performances featuring tenors like Kaufmann and Florez, but I can't really say that after forty years of opera going in Chicago, occasionally New York and Los Angeles, I'm wondering if I'm beginning to suffer from fatigue and overexposure.  Will have to wait and see.